J. Conlon and Sons

Friday, July 17, 2009

Slow blogging


(Image is completely unrelated to the below post. But every blog entry needs a picture, right? Why not a cute kitty? That's Izzy.)

So we have "slow cooking" and "slow living"...how about "slow blogging"? (Did I just invent an internet term? That would be so cool.) I have some posts brewing...or simmering, if you will...but nothing is done yet. I have been doing some crafty things and even planning more crafty things. I've been concentrating on the baby, finding a job, and relaxing with my crafty things rather than blogging about them.

"Slow" is not a word that would describe me well. Well, that's not totally true. I do sit still regularly. But even when I am sitting still I am thinking of the list of things I would like to get done. Right now, as I write this post, I am watching a Red Sox game, sewing hexagons, and checking Twitter/flickr/blogs. I blame MTV. My formative years were during the 80s when everything was 3 minutes long and choices between TV channels and ice cream flavors multiplied by the hundreds. If life isn't overwhelming then I'm just not living.

Recently I have become more mindful of the amount of stuff in my life...the to-dos, things, and wants. I'm trying to pair everything down to something more manageable...something that would create a happy rather then frenetic life. I have my priorities (my family, our happiness, our health and security) and now I'm trying to reconcile the stuff with those priorities.

I've started by clearing out some of the clutter in the house. Stuff that doesn't jive with my priorities is getting the boot. I have listed some things on eBay, I have a pile of items to give away (to friends or Goodwill) and I plan on having a blog giveaway one of these days.

This is all a process (we have a lot of stuff). But I am trying to keep "slow" top of mind.

Have you slowed down lately? Was it because of the season, the economy, life change or something else entirely?

No comments: