J. Conlon and Sons

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Inspiration: Outdoor Music Festivals via The Fabric Shopper

The Fabric Shopper blog has a very neat post about fashioning your own cool clothes to wear to summer festivals. They give two examples for a rock & roll festival and a jazz festival. But I thought there was one glaring omission...didn't the hippies invent summer music festivals? So here is my suggestion...

I couldn't find a good inspiration photo but I'm thinking a long tiered skirt and a tie-dyed cami.

Do it yourself skirt with this free pattern from j caroline creative:


My selection of fabric for the tiers (picking fabric for this skirt is great fun!):


1. Garden Bright from the London Calling collection by Robert Kaufman
2. Jackie Blue from the Pretty Please collection by Jennifer Paganelli for Free Spirit
3. Libby Royal from the Dance with Me fabric collection by Jennifer Paganelli for Free Spirit
4. Unicorns Purple from the Far, Far Away fabric collection by Heather Ross for Kokka

Then, sew up a white cotton cami using Simplicity pattern 3882 and tie die using these instructions from Rit Dye. (I suggest a single complimentary color to the skirt or you may end up looking like a crazy person!)


And maybe a headscarf to complete your look?

I am soooo not the hippy but this post was fun to play in...thanks Fabric Shopper for the inspiration. AND for the giveaway win! I won an American Pastimes fabric bundle! I can't wait to get the package in the mail to see what fabrics were selected from the collection. As you may know, I'm a big Red Sox fan so I'm particularly happy to win some of this baseball inspired fabric.

3 comments:

Karin said...

That skirt is really cute! I like the fabrics you chose :)

jacquie said...

used to be a hippy...love this skirt...great for hot summer days!

By: Barbara Travis said...

This is really cute. Thank you for the pattern.

Barbara Travis
Owner/Sr.Designer Travis Treasure Box
http://www.travistreasurebox.etsy.com