J. Conlon and Sons

Monday, February 11, 2008

Sew, Mama, Sew! Quilting Month - Part 2


Using the same fabrics from the first week's assignment, I sewed up the Ohio Star and Shoo Fly blocks for the second week of the Sew, Mama, Sew! Quilt Month Block-Along. And I gotta tell ya, I like them. All the corners came out really well. And I finally learned why you should let your sewing machine do the work and not try to push and pull the fabric into submission...bias cut fabric will stretch! Finally! I get it!

After I figured out the fabric layout of these blocks I knew that I would add a black border once all the blocks were complete. It's very strange doing individual blocks and making decisions but not yet knowing how the whole project is going to turn out since someone else is in charge. Strange but fun!


The Shoo Fly (get tutorial) and Ohio Star (get tutorial) blocks were good introductions to right triangles and quarter triangles.

PART 3 - Log Cabin Variations
PART 1 - Nine Patch Variations

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Your corners look really good! I'm sure the finished quilt will look fantastic.

jacquie said...

Can't wait to give these a try. Yours look fantastic. The black will be very dramatic.