J. Conlon and Sons

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

My Quilt Design Process 1

The creative process is very interesting to me. What I am inspired by and the finished piece never jive completely. But instead, along the way, stuff happens, things change, or new inspiration strikes. Now that I'm starting a brand new quilt project, I thought I'd try to show where I get inspired and how the process effects the end result. And I would love to hear your ideas on the process and where you are inspired as well.

For my husband's quilt I knew I wanted to make it more 'manly' -- so no flower patterns. His favorite color is green so that is where the palette would begin. And I wanted to incorporate some triangles -- which I had never done in patchwork before -- but not too many because they can be difficult!

Here is the initial palette:



A little 'Irish flag' but once the colors were in patterns I thought that would be less noticeable.

(I am trying to find the initial quilt that I saw that inspired this design! As soon as I do, I will post it here with a link to the blogger's site.)

PART 6 - First Block
PART 5 - Quilt Math
PART 4 - Give Opinions
PART 3 - Fabric
PART 2 - Inspiration
PART 1 - Palette

No comments: