J. Conlon and Sons

Thursday, April 10, 2008

I blame MTV

I started this quilt top over five years ago. I've worked on it off and on for a while but then it went missing. I found it in the attic this weekend. It's a basic nine patch so it should really be finished by now! I plan on completing it someday but now I have too many other things that I'd prefer to work on.

I tend to have a lot of projects going but nothing completed. I'm pretty sure that too much MTV as a teenager warped my brain. My mind can't stay focused on anything for too long. I get distracted by something else or just plain bored. I think that's why I like doing the Dear Jane quilt along with the online group. Every block is different and the pace of two blocks a week keeps it moving but I don't feel at all overwhelmed.

And here is something else to distract me... CraftStylish.com launched this week! I can't wait for the upgrade that will allow users to post their own projects, have a journal, and I think there will be a forum as well.

9 comments:

jacquie said...

So many things inspire me that I just can't wait to get started. I love having a bunch of projects going so I can jump from one to another. I wonder why this one went into the attic? It's going to be very pretty! So with Dear Jane happening, are you going to do the stars with AmandaJean?

Unknown said...

Hi Jen,

I think I am a little bit like you too. I tend to jump around from project to project if something really catches my eye. But then sometimes I just catch the bug to finish something as well.
Blasted....another Red Sox loss!! Well, tonight will be a good one!

alda said...

oh Jen, I think we are all a little bit like you!!! maybe did we all saw too many MTV for a long time ago...lol. I'm already working on so many project at the same time, a little bit here, a little bit there...patchwork, stitchery, cross stitch.....
alda

Sweet P said...

I never watched MTV, but I did watch Sesame Street with my children. Do you think it had the same affect? I also think our society has become one of short attention spans.

The Sox are looking good tonight. Too bad about Lowell though.

Stacy A. said...

Jen, Go Sox! Man, the story of my life. Getting really into something, spending money on it, and a week later I wouldn't even notice if it got lost. I am really trying to be better though. I agree about the baby Jane. It doesn't take tons of time (so far he he) and we get a new one with new fabric and technique every few days.
Have you ever been to one of Denise Schmidt's workshops? I was thinking about saving up. I know you like her, and I think your about half way there for me. If you have, how was it? And if not what would you think about trying to go sometime?
And go Wakefield...he's my favorite! I'm hoping for a Wakefield Jersey for my birthday. Fingers crossed. Love Stacy

Marcia said...

I love the nine patch. Be sure to post it when you complete it or even share your progress. I too am a confessed starter of projects with not that good of a completion rate either. I think we all are a little bit that way. Someone should do a thesis on why we stash and start so many projects! LOL

Nanette Merrill said...

The quilt is lovely. Finish it! haha I think things are in our nature. I'm by nature a finisher. I don't take credit for it. It just is the way I am. But I get bored if I repeat something very often so I have to keep my self entertained by doing lots of different things. You're right, dear jane helps me do that.

bettyninja said...

I am always scrambling to finish old projects too. That sounds like a nice site I'll check that puppy out.

Unknown said...

I just joined CraftStylish.com today. What a gorgeous website! Geez, it's in it's infancy and even without the upgrades of the journal and forum, I am so impressed. A gorgeous, crafty site is just what everyone needs!!!

P.S. I really wish there was category for Softie makers! Maybe some day?